Friday, July 6, 2007

are you a quirkyalone?

Unbeknownst to me, I am "very quirkyalone", at least according to Sasha Cagen, the proud singleton who coined the name, gave voice to the movement, and (literally) wrote the book on the subject: "Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics".

What is a quirkyalone, you ask? Both a noun and an adjective, a quirkyalone is "a person who enjoys being single (but is not opposed to being in a relationship) and generally prefers to be alone rather than dating for the sake of being in a couple. With unique traits and an optimistic spirit; a sensibility that transcends relationship status."

I'll assume by my "very quirkyalone" score of 91 on the QA Quiz that even the most orthodox quirkyalones succumb to occasional lapses into pessimism and spectacular outbursts or romantic melancholy.

I was quite surprised to discover that I am in fact the poster girl for quirkyalone-ness. At first blush, being quirkyalone seemed rather swish to me; as unattainable as being part of the "in" crowd in high school. Truth is, those cool kids in high school probably those least likely to be quirkyalones, given their propensity to exchange boyfriends as unceremoniously as pots of lip balm.

Okay, so describing my personal life as "desiccated" doesn't exactly scream of "happy to be alone until I find someone suitable", but as far as I can tell that definition doesn't say anything about not bitching about the "alone" part of your quirkiness from time to time. And when they say "enjoy" does that mean all the time?

While I have dated my share of Mr. Wrongs, I must admit that – despite my gloomy assessment of the receptiveness of male specimens in the dating field – I must concede that if I really wanted to I could be dating someone I considered totally and utterly undesirable on all accounts. But who wants that? Quirkyalones certainly don't want that. Why, you ask? Because quirkyalones don't settle.

Cagen estimates that the rare breed makes up only 5 percent of the population and believes that the quirkyalones have always existed; it's only now in the afterglow of Ally McBeal and Sex and the City that the status has adopted its rightful, dignified air. In her recent book "To-Do List" Cager eloquently classified her caste:

In a world where proms and marriage define the social order, we are, by force of our personalities and inner strength, rebels.

For the quirkyalone, there is no patience for dating just for the sake of not being alone. We want a miracle. Out of millions, we have to find the one who will understand.

Do non-quirkyalones do really engage in empty relationship after empty relationship for the sake of being in a couple? That's definitely not me. Maybe I am quirkyalone.

For ages, relatives and friends have encouraged me to "date casually", just for a fun time, claiming it will do me good. I've tried to oblige, and found it incredibly taxing. The truth is, I'm far too romantic for that. To me, that's always seemed like a colossal waste of time, energy, and outfits.

Card-carrying quirkyalones simply opt for lonely alone rather than lonely together. Now, that doesn't make quirkyalones spinsters or asexual, destined for the nunnery. No, as trying as our singlehood may be, holding to that which is difficult, we seek momentous meetings and significant others.

Maybe quirkyalone is just fancy for picky.

No comments: